Hi everyone! Remember how I had a potluck dinner with a few friends? I made this fish for it, and I thought I’d share the recipe since CNY is coming up and we all need some fish for the big festival!
I’ve used Patagonian fish cutlets because it’s what we had in the freezer, and it’s better portion size control for only a few people. I always like to have some of this fish in the freezer for quick, easy meals – sometimes I marinate it in miso overnight then grill it for lunch if I’m at home =)
Anyway! So here’s the recipe! You can use a whole fish and other types of fish as well – I’ve done it before with red emperor, cod, mullet, some other fish I don’t know the English name of,…and you get the point =P haha.
(CC aka. Dumpling Love)
3 pieces of patagonian toothfish (or one whole fish, or however many pieces you like)
2-3 golden mushrooms, soaked and sliced
1-2 tbsp 東菜 (salted chinese cabbage), rinsed slightly
Light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce
White pepper powder
Spring onion, cut into long strips
1. Wash fish well and descale it. Put in steaming dish and drain as much water away as possible.
2. Chop 東菜 into smaller pieces and mix with mushrooms
3. Add light soy sauce to taste, and dark soy sauce for some colour
4. Add sugar (You need more sugar to offset the saltiness of the 東菜 and soy sauces; add to taste but I usually add what would be about 1-1.5 tsp for 2 tbsp light soy sauce)
5. Sprinkle some pepper over the fish pieces and drizzle oil on each piece
6. Add ginger and spring onion on the fish, and then top it with the mushroom-東菜mix.
7. Steam over high heat for about 10min (for my dish in the picture)
As with all my cooking, I just estimate amounts and add as I go so please see what suits you and your families’ taste and adjust as needed =)
Thanks for reading! ^^ Hope you enjoy this fish!